An explanation and details of the Federal Budget Process as it affects Federal agencies.
- The Budget Process is explained in 20 discrete steps, related to Budget Formulation Key Steps, Budget Execution Key Steps, and Congressional Oversight.
- An example budget calendar that illustrates the budget process for a hypothetical fiscal year 2020, with links to each of the 20 steps explanations.
- Tips & Techniques related to budget analysis work, with a section on payroll (Personnel Compensation and Benefits, or PC&B) calculations.
- Sources and References related to Federal budget analysis and budgets - but currently under development.
- Comments on budget process developments, past and current, and use of the commentary to illustrate aspects of the budget process.
- Information on budget analysis careers.
Federal agency budget processes, focused on assisting managers and workers on budget matters within agencies. Key steps of the annual Federal budget process are explained, supplemented by opinions on past events. Information is based on Laszlo Bockh's experiences as an actor in these processes (1967 to 2012), as well as his related studies. (Content © 1998-2016 Laszlo Bockh and Mary Blakeslee.)
Note: The site is in process of technological transition. Not all pages are available at this time.
Steps in the process an agency uses to obtain funds are explained for budget formulation and execution. Each step is linked to pages where actions are explained. A generic Federal agency is used to explain the steps and actions ("agency" does not refer to a specific actual governmental agency unless so stated). Fiscal year 2020 (FY 2020) is used to illustrate when actions can be expected. A hypothetical schedule for the FY 2020 budget process is also provided.
The budget process is explained as consisting of 20 key steps in the budget formulation, execution, and oversight phases. Fiscal year 2020 (FY 2020) is used to illustrate when actions can be expected. FY 2020 starts October 1, 2019 and ends September 30, 2020. The budget calendar example lists the specific steps and provides a link to a descriptions of each key step.